Dr. Ben Mangrum's article, "Market Segmentation and Shirley Jackson's Domestic Humor" appears in the Spring 2021 edition of American Literary History.
English invites us to learn how to read with attention and care in order to develop insight into the process of literary creation and the representation of meaning, thus enabling us to join a human conversation that spans centuries.
Why study English at Sewanee
When you study English here at Sewanee, you’ll be part of a truly storied program. The vibrancy and range of courses will transform you into a closer reader, a more insightful critic, and a superior writer. Explore texts from classical to contemporary, Shakespearean to African American, and all the stories in between.
Under the instruction of faculty and noted visiting writers, you’ll be immersed in the University’s historic and esteemed literary tradition. Sewanee is home to both the Sewanee Review, the country’s oldest continuously published literary quarterly, and the Sewanee Writers’ Conference, a yearly gathering of writers that has included Pulitzer and Nobel prize winners.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: english MAJORS
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. While some are what you would expect, others are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first jobs.
- Legislative correspondent, U.S. Senate, Washington, D.C.
- Marketing executive assistant, Dow Jones, New York, New York.
- Writing and editorial assistant (travel section), U.S. News & World Report, Washington, D.C.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: english MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and pre-professional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- M.A. in English, Georgetown University.
- M.F.A. in Fine Arts, Parsons School of Design
- J.D., University of South Carolina Law School.
- Ph.D. in Medieval Studies, Yale University.
- J.D., College of William and Mary.