Javier Zamora came to the U.S when he was 9 years old from El Salvador, escaping civil war. Today, he is a popular poet and Harvard fellow who writes about immigration and his experience crossing the border and life as an immigrant. He will recite his poetry in Sewanee on April 5th @ 4:30 PM at the Mary Sue Cushman Room at the Wick. This event is sponsored by the Writing House, Lecture's Committee, Community Engagement House, Spanish Department, English Department, International & Global Studies.
Wherever you are in the world, life in the 21st century is a global experience. Being able to learn, live, conduct business, and speak cross-culturally are skills that prove invaluable in every walk of life.
Why International & Global Studies at Sewanee?
International and global studies at Sewanee stretches far beyond the gates. Involving 50 faculty members from 15 departments across the college, including its own core IGS faculty, the program spans disciplinary and thematic boundaries. It's easy to see why IGS is one of the largest majors on campus.
The rapid pace and complex nature of our world requires dexterity to navigate. At Sewanee, you will study the ever-changing issues of political, economic, and cultural forces that characterize the world today. You'll work collaboratively and independently, focusing on topics and regions that will promote an enhanced understanding of distinct perspectives and their value. Here, exploring our interconnected world begins in the classroom.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: International & Global Studies MAJORS
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first jobs.
- Language assistant, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, A Coruña, Spain.
- Analyst, Carlisle and Gallagher Consulting Group, Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Research assistant, Nexus Institute, Berlin, Germany.
- Creative director, Playing in Traffic Records, Austin, Texas.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: INTERNATIONAL & GLOBAL STUDIES MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and pre-professional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- M.A. in conflict studies, King's College London.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
- M.A. in international relations, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- M.A. in global development studies, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.