Economics is a study of mankind in the ordinary business of life; it examines that part of individual and social action which is most closely connected with the attainment and with the use of the material requisites of wellbeing. Thus it is on the one side a study of wealth; and on the other, and more important side, a part of the study of man.”–Alfred Marshal (Principles of Economics, 1890)
Why study economics at Sewanee?
If you want to analyze real-world data, study economic trends, and develop critical thinking, Sewanee’s economics curriculum could be the perfect fit for you. Sewanee’s faculty are uniquely positioned to introduce you to a broadened global perspective and provide skills that are highly valued in the workplace today.
Ask questions. Cultivate your own theories. Let the assortment of courses help you navigate those ideas. Economic activity—its development and operation, its ethics and trends, and its public and private institutions—invites investigation. From analyzing statistics to observing human behavior, the study of economics is a vital tool to understand the world.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: Economics MAJORS
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first jobs.
- Research assistant, Federal Reserve Board of Governors, Washington, D.C.
- Analyst, BlackRock, New York, New York.
- Asset-Based lending analyst, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Investment Banking Analyst, Greentech Capital Advisors, New York, New York.
- Technology analyst, Deutsche Bank, New York, New York.
- Trauma sales associate, Stryker Orthopaedics, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: ECONOMICS MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and pre-professional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- Ph.D. in economics, University of California at Santa Barbara.
- M.S. in mathematics, Washington University of St. Louis.
- M.S. in biostatistics, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Management training/international thoroughbred racing and breeding, Darley Flying Start, Ireland.
- M.D. in medicine, Johns Hopkins University.