Business is a source of prosperity, identity, purpose, and power. Global business creates opportunities and exciting innovations. People are increasingly taking steps to harness the power of business to solve society's greatest challenges.
Why study Business at Sewanee?
A part of the Pre-Business Program, the minor in business ("business minor") is anchored in the belief that a liberal arts education offers the best foundation for a business career. Such an education provides a broad understanding of human behavior and institutions, an appreciation of global culture and of people around the world, and perspectives for developing personal values and ethical standards. It encourages creativity and flexibility of mind that business leadership demands.
With courses ranging from statistics, psychology, economic theory, entrepreneurship to financial accounting, the business minor is ideal for mapping your way to a new career in any industry. Sewanee business minors are eligible to apply for the Carey Fellows business honors program, a mark of distinction designed to prepare students for leadership positions in business and finance.
The business minor offers the opportunity to study economics, accounting, finance, and business ethics and to select complementary courses from disciplines including economics, psychology, politics, computer science, history, forestry, and business. In choosing elective courses, students focus on one of four tracks: managerial, international, finance, or environment and sustainability.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: Business minors
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for a profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first jobs.
- Environmental, Health, Safety, and Sustainability Associate, GSK, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
- Development Analyst, Surgical Care Affiliates, Birmingham, Alabama
- Client Financial Management Analyst, Accenture, Arlington, Virginia
- Fund Accountant, Alternative Investment Funds, SEI Investment Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Data Scientist, JPMorgan Chase & Co., Dallas, Texas
- EVS, Valuation Associate, M&A, KPMG, New York, New York
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: Business Minors
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and pre-professional programs. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- MBA, Goizueta Business School, Emory University
- Master of Accountancy, corporate valuation, Owen Graduate School of Management, Vanderbilt University
- MBA, sports business, Charles H. Lundquist College of Business, University of Oregon
- MBA, Columbia Business School, Columbia University
- Masters in Environmental Management, Business and the Environment, and Climate Change Science and Solutions, Yale School of the Environment, Yale University