In this episode, "Insightful, Appreciative, Service-Oriented, and Authentic", Jordan Troisi talks about his Michigan-based origin story, including his undergraduate experiences at Albion College and the importance of mentoring. Troisi is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of the South, Sewanee.
What factors shape the way we develop, think, and act? What defines our relationships? Psychology uses the scientific method to investigate the human condition.
Why study psychology at Sewanee?
At Sewanee, students do more than learn about psychology—they do psychology. Our dedicated faculty equip students with a rigorous foundational understanding of psychological principles and the creative methodological approaches that inform our understanding of thought and behavior, and then guide them in discovering how to apply their knowledge to a range of timely and significant disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and societal issues. Sewanee’s Psychology Department offers students the opportunity to conduct leading edge research alongside faculty committed to nurturing students’ intellectual and personal growth. Our majors emerge with knowledge, skills, and ways of thinking that are not only applicable but essential to a wide range of possible professional pursuits as well as to a rewarding and fulfilling personal life.
FIRST DESTINATIONS: Psychology MAJORS
Sewanee graduates secure positions in a variety of fields. Some you would expect, others are a bit of a surprise. Sewanee prepares you for your profession and your passion. Below is a sampling of recent graduates' first jobs.
- Global leadership and development intern, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Norfolk, Virginia.
- Research assistant, Anxiety and Health Research Laboratory/Substance Use Treatment Clinic, University of Houston, Texas.
- Therapeutic riding instructor, ManeGait Therapeutic Horsemanship, McKinney, Texas.
GRADUATE SCHOOL & PRE-PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS: Psychology MAJORS
Sewanee graduates enjoy extraordinary acceptance rates to top graduate and pre-professional programs–about 95 percent to law school and over 85 percent to medical school. Below is a sampling of where Sewanee grads continue their education.
- M.Ed. in clinical psychology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee.
- M.S.W. in social work, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- M.D. & M.P.H., St. George's University, Grenada.