Considering a Gap Year? Admitted students may apply to defer enrollment for a full academic year—a gap year—to work, travel, or pursue other productive interim opportunities.
How to Apply
Pay your enrollment deposit by the deadline provided in the offer of admission.
- Send an email to our Gap Year Coordinator, Taylor Baird, to discuss your plans.
- Submit your gap year application by August 1.
- Upon receipt of approval, send an additional non-refundable deposit of $1,000 within 14 days.
Gap year essentials
- Cost of attendance for student deferring enrollment will be set at the rate used during the academic year in which they matriculate
- Scholarships awarded to students deferring enrollment are retained for one year. Applicants will need to reapply for need-based aid.
- Students are not permitted to pursue any academic coursework for credit during the deferral period.
- During the month of February, our office will be in contact to confirm your enrollment and activate the enrollment checklist on your Applicant Status Page.
- All enrollment deposits are non-refundable and Sewanee does not approve gap year extensions.
Programs and organizations
- International experiences
- Outdoor Exploration
- Service and Outreach
- Work or Internships
- KIVU Gap Year