Sewanee meets the full demonstrated need of all admitted first-time, first-year students who qualify for financial aid. Learn more about scholarships and need-based aid below.
All international applicants applying to Sewanee are required to submit financial documents to be considered for admission and aid.
details & Timeline
- International students that apply to Sewanee without applying for financial aid are ineligible for need-based aid after an admission decision is released or in future years.
- International students should budget approximately $5,000 of funding for their first year indirect costs. This is so a student can pay for books, health insurance, personal expenses, potential taxes, the visa and SEVIS fees, travel, classes with an additional fee, etc. The University does not cover costs beyond tuition, room, board, and university fees.
- Admitted international students will be required to show proof of being able to pay their first-year Sewanee account balance plus the above indirect costs after they've deposited and prior to receiving their I-20.
- For your personal security, we do not accept any financial documents via email.
- Incomplete financial documents will delay admission. Below are the due dates and you can see our admission timeline here.
|Admission Round||Admission Deadline||Financial Document Deadline|
|Early Decision I||Nov. 15||Nov. 22|
|Early Action||Dec. 1||Dec. 10|
|Early Decision II||Jan. 15||Jan. 22|
|Regular Decision||Feb. 1||Feb. 10|
All applicants to Sewanee are considered for all academic scholarships automatically, regardless if they apply for need-based aid or not. There is no separate application.
Sewanee awards 10 Global Scholarships to admitted international applicants (non-US Citizens) each year. Global Scholars are awarded the direct costs of tuition, room, board, and fees for four consecutive years of study at Sewanee. These scholarships are given to international applicants with a strong academic profile and who demonstrated high financial need. Applicants must apply for need-based financial aid to be considered.
KLEIN FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP
The Klein Family Scholarship was established in 2007 with gifts by and in memory of the late Ms. Linda Klein, who was of Hungarian descent, for deserving students from Hungary. The award covers the direct costs of tuition, room, board, and fees for four consecutive years of study at Sewanee. To be considered for the Klein Scholarship, please review our requirements.
Sewanee meets the full demonstrated financial need of all admitted first-year first-time student. Admitted international students have their financial need met in the form of scholarships, grant aid, and/or a work-study stipend. We do not package international students with loans. To guarantee equity in awarding institutional funds, Sewanee considers two factors when determining how to allocate institutional need-based aid:
- A student must have need-based aid eligibility, computed on the basis of family financial information submitted from the CSS Profile.
- Priority consideration is given to students with a complete file by the deadline corresponding to their admission round.
- The CSS Profile goes live on Oct. 1 each year. Learn more about the CSS Profile prior to applying.
- Sewanee's CSS Profile Code is 1842. We do not provide CSS Profile fee waivers nor do we accept any documents in lieu of the CSS Profile.
- It can take 7-10 business days for the CSS Profile to reflect on your Applicant Status Page. Often the name used on the CSS Profile may not match up with what we have in our system. Please email us your CBFinAid ID and full name if it's been more than 10 days since you submitted your CSS Profile. Please know that we won't begin to receive the CSS Profile until late October.
We require a Proof of Finances form to be complete by applicants who are not applying for need-based financial aid or from students on a case by case basis. This form requires a student to upload official documents that demonstrate a family's ability to pay for educational expenses. If a need-based financial aid applicant is flagged to complete this form, they will be notified by email.
PROOF OF FINANCES FORM
- International applicants must complete this form by logging into their Applicant Status Page and clicking the Proof of Finance form on their applicant checklist.
- This form is due by one of the above deadlines.
- Examples of documentation are:
- Salary or earnings statement from each employer of a working guardian or family member that is supporting the student. These statements should be on the company's letterhead indicating annual wages, bonuses, benefits, subsidies or perquisites and should indicate if the income is gross income (before taxes), in which case we need to know the taxes paid.
- The Country's tax return.
- Sponsorship letter from an organization on the organization's letterhead with the contact information of the sponsor.