Student Accessibility Services Grievance Procedure

The University of the South prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability by public entities and protects qualified individuals with a disability from discrimination of services, program, or activities by providing equal educational access. To further that commitment, procedures have been developed and implemented for students seeking to file a grievance within the University.

Student-Instructor Grievance

If the student and instructor come to a disagreement regarding their approved accommodations, the student is encouraged to discuss their concerns with the Director of Student Accessibility Services. The Director of Student Accessibility Services will attempt to resolve the matter by addressing the faculty member, involved parties, and/or appropriate department chair. The student and other involved parties will be notified by Student Accessibility Services with a resolution typically within ten (10) business days.

A student may take further action if they do not believe that the matter has been resolved by notifying the Associate Dean of the College for Undergraduate Academic Affairs with disability-related academic concerns, the Dean of Students for disability-related non-academic concerns, and for matters regarding discrimination based on disability.

Grievance Against Student Accessibility Services

The student is encouraged to resolve their complaint with the Director of Student Accessibility Services before filing a formal grievance. If a resolution cannot be reached, the student should contact the Dean of Students to further discuss and seek a resolution. After conducting an investigation, the Dean of Students will inform the student and involved parties of the progress and findings within ten (10) business days. A student has the right to bypass the Student Accessibility Services and go directly to the Dean of Students for resolution.

Office of Civil Rights- Department of Education

As per the U.S. Department of Education, “prior to filing a complaint with OCR against an institution, a potential complainant may want to find out about the institution’s grievance process and use that process to have the complaint resolved. However, a complainant is not required by law to use the institutional grievance process before filing a complaint with OCR. If a complainant uses an institutional grievance process and also chooses to file the complaint with OCR, the complaint must be filed with OCR within 60 days after completion of the institutional grievance process.”