If you feel that you or someone you know is a victim of sexual misconduct or that there has been a violation of Title IX or the sexual misconduct policy, please contact:

Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Sylvia Gray at 931-598-1420
smgray@sewanee.edu or titleix@sewanee.edu 
Dr. Gray is located in Woods Lab 138.                                                                                                                  Set an appointment to meet with the Title IX Coordinator by clicking [here]

Confidential Resources for Reporting and Support:
  • University Wellness Center 931.598.1270, Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (medical and counseling services are available for undergraduate students). Note that the office is closed during the noon hour for lunch. After-Hours Emergency Mental Health Services Call 931.598.1700


    See the Crisis Services and ProtoCall for Sewanee pages

    • Counseling and Psychological services is open to all full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate students Monday through Friday, during business hours of 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
    • School of Theology students seeking access to counseling and psychological care services can contact the Office of Community Life at the School of Theology. School of Letters students seeking access to counseling and psychological care services can contact University Healthy Services for appropriate referrals.
  • Any ordained clergy when information is disclosed to the clergy person in their professional capacity (931-598-1274, All Saints Chapel).

  • Haven of Hope (Domestic Shelter/Advocacy Center) 931.728.1133 

  • The RAINN Hotline (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) 800.656.4673 or chat hotline at online.rainn.org

  • You may also contact the Chattanooga Rape Crisis Center 423.755.2700. It is your choice to notify law enforcement. 

  • You may also contact the Nashville Sexual Assault Center 866.811.7473. It is your choice to notify law enforcement. 
Other Resources for Reporting and Support:
  • Southern Tennessee Regional Health System (Sewanee Hospital 931.598.5691 or Winchester Hospital 931.967.8200). While reporting to a healthcare professional is confidential, the medical staff is obligated to notify law enforcement when injuries are life threatening or if injuries result from the use of a weapon (T.C.A. § 38-1-101)

  • You may report to any University mandated reporter such as faculty, staff, lay persons working in the Chaplain’s office, or student leaders such as proctors, FYP mentors, or orientation leaders.

  • Call 911 (emergency) or the Sewanee Police Department at 1111 (non-emergency) for support from law enforcement.

  • You can also use extension 1111 to be routed to a professional staff member who can contact the Dean On Call after normal business hours. 


Generally speaking, confidentiality refers to personal information shared with another individual or within a process that generally cannot be divulged or shared to a third party without [your] consent or knowledge.  In other words, if you share information with a confidential resource or to persons within a confidential process, then that "resource or process" will not share that information publicly (without a legal process compelling such disclosure). If information is shared with your consent or knowledge, then that information will be kept within what is typically a small group of people/persons who have a right or need to know. 

The process for reporting sex discrimination/sexual harassment and what to expect after reporting

The process for reporting sex discrimination/harassment involves notifying the Title IX Coordinator of the incident in which one believes that there has been a violation of the University's Title IX/Sex Discrimination Policy.  Reports can be made in-person, over the phone, via email, or by postal mail; however, the strongly preferred method of reporting is online.  Go to any web browser and type in "ReportSexualMisconduct.sewanee.edu" to access the online reporting form. See the top of the reporting form for a list of where the report will go once it is submitted. Reports may also be submitted through the LiveSafe App. All forms of Sex Discrimination/Harassment are prohibited under the policy. Any individual (i.e. student, parent, employee, community member, etc.) may file a report regarding a violation of the Policy.  Keep in mind that reports can be Anonymous (simply leave out identifying information) or Identifiable (include all names and information that may be helpful in responding to the report), see page 15 of the Policy. See the heading entitled "Reporting Sex Discrimination Including Sexual Harassment" in section three of the Policy, beginning on page 14. 

Once a report is filed, there are several steps and options involved in responding to the report. See section six, "Resolving a Sex Discrimination Complaint,"  beginning on page 20 of the Policy.  In general, a student, employee or participant can expect the following after a report is filed:

  • After a report is received, there will always be an immediate attempt to contact the complainant (person alleging harm) where contact information is made available. This is typically done via email. The email will typically include immediate options for support (such as the options listed above) and steps on how to contact the Title IX coordinator, police, peer support, confidential resources, and other local, online, and/or state resources specific to Tennessee. Keep in mind that when reports are anonymous, a response to a report and/or an attempt to make contact with the complainant becomes severely limited.
  • If the complainant feels comfortable speaking about the incident, that party is encouraged to come in so that the Title IX coordinator or designee can walk the complainant through their options and the available resources. This conversation will guide what happens next. 
  • The next steps in the process can follow a formal (pgs. 23-28) or informal (pg. 22) path toward resolution which will always includes resources and options for support. To learn more about the paths toward resolution, see the aforementioned pages numbers. 
  • Participation in any process is optional for any party. One may choose not to actively participate in a formal or informal resolution process or withdraw from participation in a formal or informal resolution process at any time. When an individual does not actively participate, they do so with the understanding that the formal or informal resolution process may or may not move forward to completion without the participation of those involved.

For more information on the process and procedures following the submission of a Title IX/Sex Discrimination report, please contact the Title IX Coordinator or the STIX Advisory Committee

Requesting University Support Measures

Students and employees seeking support measures should speak with the Title IX Coordinator or the appropriate Dean of Students Office (for students), who will evaluate and, if warranted, coordinate appropriate measures. University officials may need to take protective measures to ensure a safe and nondiscriminatory environment even when the involved parties do not specifically request the measures. Students studying away or abroad should request support from the program official or the University of the South's Dean of Students Office.

The specific support measures implemented and the process for implementing those measures will vary depending on the facts of each case. The Title IX Coordinator and/or appropriate official will consider, among other factors: the specific need of the complainant or respondent; the severity or pervasiveness of the allegations; any continuing effects on the complainant or respondent; the age of those involved if they are a minor; and whether the complainant and respondent share the same residence hall, class, athletic team, on-campus job location, etc. 

Support measures should provide continued access to education programs. Support measures which may be implemented after consultation may include, but are not limited to:

  • No-contact order between respondent and complainant

  • Limiting access to certain college facilities or activities

  • Limiting access to campus or areas of campus 

  • Alteration of class schedules

  • Alteration of on or off campus housing arrangements

  • Removal from on-campus housing

  • Changing campus work schedules or job assignment

  • Suspension from on-campus employment

  • Suspension from athletic teams or other student organizations

  • Requesting consideration of faculty for additional time or rescheduling of exams, papers, or other assignments

  • Provisional suspensions or restrictions in extraordinary circumstances

  • Taking an incomplete in a class

  • Authorized withdrawal from a class

  • Withdrawal from study away or abroad programs

  • Alternative course completion options

  • Voluntary leave of absence

  • Access to counseling services

  • Providing a police escort to ensure safe movement between classes and activities

  • Increased security at specified locations

  • Providing academic support services

  • Any other reasonable remedy that can be tailored to the involved individuals

When complainant and respondent are undergraduate students who are members of the same organization or athletic team, a dean of students or designee will consider ways to permit both students to continue participation. However when such compromise is not possible, the Title IX Coordinator or their designee has the discretion to determine whether an involved student can continue participation.

No-Contact and Protective Orders 

A No-Contact Order is issued by the University and directs parties (generally the complainant and respondent(s)) to refrain from having in-person or electronic contact with each other, directly or through proxies. A University-issued No-Contact Order is enforceable through the University’s conduct processes. The No- Contact Order is not the same as an Order of Protection/Protective Order, which must be obtained through the court system and is enforceable by law enforcement and the court. 

If an involved individual represents an ongoing threat to the health or safety of a complainant of sex discrimination, it may be possible for the complainant to obtain a court-ordered emergency or preliminary protective order. These orders are temporary, and they may be issued if the judge believes that there is an immediate threat to health or safety. Later, after a full hearing, the court may agree to issue a “permanent” protective order in appropriate cases. Protective orders are separate and distinct from University-issued no-contact orders. Protective orders may be obtained only from a court of law, and their violation may result in criminal charges. A student or employee who wishes to seek a protective order should contact the Sewanee Police Department. No-contact orders may be obtained directly from the Dean of Students Office for students, Human Resources for staff, or Provost’s Office for faculty, and are enforceable through the University policy and code of conduct.

Reporting Violations of Support Measures to the University 

All individuals are encouraged to report concerns about the failure of another individual to abide by the provisions of a support measure to the Title IX Coordinator. Failure to abide by restrictions imposed by a support measure may result in disciplinary action independent of the outcome of the sex discrimination/Title IX process.