Sewanee-in-France: That’s Sew Nantes!
The University of the South has partnered with the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES) to propose an exciting fall semester study abroad program in beautiful Nantes, France!
Where: Nantes, France
When: September 2, 2020 – December 19, 2020
Program Leader (Fall 2020): Professor Julian Ledford
email me: email@example.com
Who can participate:
- Students who have completed FREN 300 or higher
- Students who are in good academic and social standing
Deadline to apply: January 31, 2020
For more information on eligibility and financial aid, visit the website of the Office of Global Citizenship or contact Prof. Ledford
You will live with a host family in Nantes. (There will be one student per host family.) Daily breakfast and dinners on weeknights will be provided for you.
You will take five classes (16 credits) total for the semester. One course, FREN 322 ("Langue, Littérature, Culture" in Nantes), taught by Prof. Ledford, is a required course. You will then take an additional four 3-credit courses at the IES Abroad Center and/or Nantes Université to complete the program.
Here are some of the courses taught (in French) by IES Abroad faculty:
- AH 313 – French Classicism: Art and Architecture
- CU 356 – French Cooking and Gastronomy: Food, Wine and Etiquette
- EC 380 – International Trade and Globalization
- FR 303 – French Language in Context: Emerging Independent Abroad
- FS 320 – History of French Cinema
- PO/HS/IR 335 – The Palestinian Question from 1945 to Today
- RK/HS 362 – Nantes between Revolution and Counter-Revolution: Political and Religious
- TH 343 – Theater Production (3 credits/45 contact hours)
To see a complete list of courses offered through IES, please click here.
To find out more about courses offered in English at Nantes Université, please contact Prof. Ledford (firstname.lastname@example.org).
FIELD TRIPS AND EXCURSIONS
- Nantes Naval Museum
- Jules Verne Museum
- Saint Malo & Mt. St. Michel.
- Loire Valley (2 days/1 night)
- Normandy (2 days/1 night)
- Paris (7 days, 6 nights):
In addition to receiving a Paris Museum Pass with which to explore several cultural centers in Paris, you will continue to enrich your study abroad experiences through place-based learning at several sites, including the Eiffel Tower, the Tuileries Garden, the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Élysées, the Quartier Latin, the Sorbonne, the Pantheon, the Saint-Michel Boulevard, the Luxembourg Gardens, Notre Dame Cathedral, and Opéra Garnier.
Follow our adventures on the Sewanee in France blog!