The Committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion exists to facilitate the University’s efforts to cultivate an inclusive community; one that provides opportunity for all and that deeply values the worth and contributions of each member in order to achieve social cohesion. We work to support Vice-Chancellor Brigety's vision of a University committed to becoming “a model of diversity, of inclusion, of intellectual rigor, and of loving spirit.” We wish to be able to live together with mutual commitment toward achieving EQB.
- Nancy Berner, Provost, (chair)
- Husnain Fateh Ahmad, Assistant Professor of Economics
- Rachel Eskite, C'21, Student at the School of Theology
- Rachel Fredericks, Interim Director of Multicultural Affairs
- Peter Gray, University Chaplain
- Nicky Hamilton, Director of Community Development
- Deborah M. Jackson, Associate Dean for Community Life
- Chris McDonough, Alderson-Tillinghast Chair in the Humanities
- Cassie Meyer, Director of Dialogue Across Difference
- Ivana Porashka, C'21, Student at the College
- Karen Proctor, Special Assistant to the Provost
- Betsy Sandlin, Associate Dean of the College for Inclusion and Faculty Development
- Klarke Stricklen, C'22, Student at the College
- Yanbing Tan, Assistant Professor of Chinese
- Jessica Welch, Human Resources
Fostering an Inclusive Environment
As an advisory body to the Provost, the Committee brings together stakeholders from across the University to work collaboratively on initiatives, policies, and practices that allow each individual to grow and thrive so that we can all reap the benefits of a diverse and equitable community. The committee meets on a monthly basis.
Supporting Educational Programming
The CDEI has hosted a range of programs, guest speakers, book groups, and workshops for all community members related to topics such as implicit bias, microaggressions, race and racism in higher education, and more. In addition, the CDEI supports and amplifies curricular and co-curricular opportunities for students related to DEI.
Resources Related to DEI
Diversity, equity and inclusion work happens across the University. While the Committee works to solicit and propose new initiatives, it also supports, both formally and informally, similar work initiated by other departments, groups, and divisions across the campus. It also serves to connect people and programs invested in the values of EQB.
- Vice-Chancellor Brigety provides an update on DEI initiatives
- Board of Regent's Statement
- Faculty take next steps to further equality and diversity in their teaching
Search for a Chief Diversity Officer
We are searching for a Vice Provost of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to lead and coordinate our efforts. See more information here.