The grant is awarded to a politics major or minor who demonstrates financial need. A student may apply for the grant more than once, but other qualified students will be given priority over students who have previously received a grant. It can be used for any of the following purposes.
- Research costs for projects during the school year (e.g., data access)
- Travel costs to an academic conference where the student presents a paper
- Travel to summer internships, contingent on the student also applying for other university internship funding such as Tonya Public Affairs funding.
- Summer courses abroad led by a Sewanee professor
- Summer research costs (travel and supplies, but not stipends)
- Attendance at experiential learning conferences, if the conference is part of a course (e.g., Mock Trial, Model UN)
Students seeking grants for domestic experiences may apply for up to $500, while those engaged in international experiences may apply for up to $750.
Applications are due by 5 pm, October 15, 2021 (Friday).
The application should be compiled as ONE PDF file.
If applying in Fall 2021-2022, please send to Rae Manacsa (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the Department of Politics.
- Cover sheet with basic information (name, year in school, contact information, etc.) (Dugan Education and Research Grant Application Cover Sheet)
- Preliminary budget (1/2 page)
- Signed statement agreeing to meet the below-listed requirements of the grant.
- Two-page (double spaced) proposal which explains
- The specific project for which the grant will be used
- The anticipated product/outcome (conference paper; research project; internship project)
- Additional funding for which the individual has applied (e.g., Tonya)
Requirements for Grant Awardees
- Completing the product/outcome (e.g., paper presentation, internship, research project)
- Writing a thank you note to the donor
- Providing the department with a descriptive paragraph and photo (or photos) about the experience which can be placed on bulletin boards and the department website