Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) Report
The U.S. Department (the Department) requires each school applying for HEERF funds to comply with Section 18004(e) of the CARES Act and submit an initial report (the 30-day fund report) to the Secretary thirty (30) days from the institution’s receipt of the funds.
Since the Department has not issued instructions for providing the required information to the Secretary, each HEERF participating institution must post the following information on the institution’s primary website
The University of the South (Sewanee) signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement on April 10, 2020. Sewanee intends to use no less than 50 percent of the total funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Sewanee's CARES Act allocation for students totals $547,047.
- As of this report $546,097 in student emergency grants under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act have been distributed.
- Students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences for the Spring 2020 semester and eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and are eligible to be considered for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- Knowing the disruption in on-campus classes created extra expenses for students, funds were allocated based on the estimated travel expenses while prioritizing students with the highest demonstrated need. All students with demonstrated need as evidenced by the FAFSA will automatically receive funding.
- There are 736 college students who will automatically receive an Emergency Grant for students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- In addition, for students impacted and ineligible to receive CARES Act funding, the Sewanee Emergency Relief Fund provides flexible support for University students, faculty, staff, and the Sewanee community affected by COVID-19. The fund is administered by the Office of the Vice-Chancellor and the Dean of Students Office.