Fifteen members of the Class of 2019 have been elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa, joining nine classmates who were elected in the fall semester.
Fifteen members of the Class of 2019 have been elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa, joining nine classmates who were elected in the fall semester. An initiation ceremony was held on Thursday, Feb. 28.
The initiation in the University Archives was followed by a dinner with members of the chapter and with other faculty members invited by the students. The reception and dinner were hosted by Vice-Chancellor and Bonnie McCardell, and held at Chen Hall.
Election to Phi Beta Kappa is perhaps the most prized honor a college student can receive. Students who have demonstrated exceptional academic excellence become eligible for election after completing at least six consecutive semesters. Phi Beta Kappa was founded in 1776 at the College of William and Mary; the Sewanee Chapter, Beta of Tennessee, was established in 1926.
Congratulations to Sewanee’s newest members:
- Allison Morgan Bruce, history major, Sewanee, Tennessee
- Elizabeth Richter Eaton Cornelius, German major, Springfield, Illinois
- Thomas Kurt Delay, biochemistry and English major, Huntsville, Alabama
- Abigail Baker Garmon, French major, Laurel, Mississippi
- Erin Ann Gill, biology major, Richmond, Virginia
- Hannah Rose Habit, economics major, Atlanta, Georgia
- Christopher John Hornsby, environmental arts and humanities major, Nashville, Tennessee
- Natalie Nada Javadi, biology major, Hixson, Tennessee
- Lydia Florence Stockdale Klaus, theatre major, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Georgia Claire Konstam, politics and environment & sustainability major, New York, New York
- Bridget McConville, politics major, Mishawaka, Indiana
- Margaret Fleming Smith, international & global studies major, Athens, Georgia
- Madelyne Marie Williams, psychology major, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Sarah Makensie Woody, biochemistry major, Kingston, Tennessee
- Suzanna Ruth Yancey, classical languages major, Gainesville, Florida
Previously elected members of the Class of 2019 were: Sarah Grace Board, Sean Rowan Halloran, Lillian Carol Hammen, Rachel Katherine Hudson, Thomas Shaifer Jones, Ryan Charles Dean Mahan, Daniel Callahan Oakley, Gretchen Paige Steele, and Kendall Marie Wills.
Additional students in the Class of 2019 will be elected to Phi Beta Kappa and initiated during Commencement Weekend. Each year the Sewanee chapter elects a total of approximately 10 percent of the senior class to membership in Phi Beta Kappa. Two percent of the class generally is elected at the beginning of the first semester, on the basis of six semesters' work; additional members are elected at the beginning of the second semester and during Commencement Weekend.