September 9, 2019
As Chair and Vice-Chair of the Vice-Chancellor Search Committee, we are pleased to announce that the Search Committee for the 17th Vice-Chancellor has been assembled with the following committee members:
- Dr. Joseph DeLozier, C’77, Regent and Chair of the Search Committee
- Ms. Margaret McLarty, Regent and Vice Chair of the Search Committee
- The Rt. Rev. Robert Skirving, H’15, Chancellor of the University
- The Rt. Rev. John Bauerschmidt, H’07, Bishop of Tennessee
- Ms. Mary Ellen Fagan, C’20, College Student
- Mr. Jay Fisher, C’79, Secretary of the Corporation & Deputy Secretary of the Board of Trustees
- Dr. John Ford, Former Regent
- Mr. Reid Funston, C’86, Regent
- Mr. Marichal Gentry, C’86, College Staff
- Ms. Virginia “Fairlie” Herron, C’92, Alumni Trustee
- The Rev. Dr. Benjamin King, School of Theology Faculty
- Dr. Andrea Mansker, College Faculty
- The Rev. Thelma “Nikki” Mathis, T’08, Diocesan Trustee
- Mr. Jon Meacham, C’91, Former Regent
- Dr. Deon Miles, College Faculty
- Ms. Katherine Nielsen, Regent
- Dr. Ruth Sanchez, C’86, College Faculty
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates has been retained to assist the Search Committee.
The Search Committee invites and welcomes input from various University constituents as it determines the qualities and characteristics for the next Vice-Chancellor. That input will be received through a Vice-Chancellor search survey along with several open meetings with various University groups.
Vice-Chancellor Survey—All university constituents are invited to share their thoughts about the characteristics and qualities desired in the next Vice-Chancellor by taking this anonymous survey.
Results will be shared with the Vice-Chancellor Search Committee and the search consultants. Please complete the survey by Friday, September 27.
On-Campus Forums—Various university constituents are invited to participate in the following open forums taking place on campus on Monday, September 23, and Tuesday, September 24.
Monday, September 23, 2019
- 4:30–5:30 p.m. Open forum for College faculty, Gailor Hall Auditorium
- 5:30–6:30 p.m. Open forum for College students, Gailor Hall Auditorium
- 7:30–8:30 p.m. Open forum for community members, Convocation Hall
Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- 9–10 a.m. Open forum for University staff, Convocation Hall
- 3–4 p.m. Open forum for School of Theology faculty, Hamilton Hall, Room 223
- 4–5 p.m. Open forum for School of Theology students, Hamilton Hall, Hargrove Auditorium
More information will be shared with those groups via email and in the Sewanee Mountain Messenger.
Meeting with Trustees and Regents—The search consultant and members of the Search Committee will join the Trustees and Regents during their meeting on October 10 and October 11. More information will be provided to those groups before the meetings.
Based on the information received through the survey and constituent meetings, the Search Committee will compile a Vice-Chancellor profile and requirements to begin the search process. Over the winter months the Search Committee will continue its work in anticipation of an election of the 17th Vice-Chancellor by the Board of Trustees in early spring.
If you have any questions about the search, you can direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org. One of the committee members will respond to you.
Thank you for your participation.
Joseph B. DeLozier, C’77
Chair of the Search Committee
Vice Chair of the Search Committee