How to Obtain your Medication

University Health Service can assist you in obtaining your medication in two separate ways:

  • Dispensary:
    UHS has an on-site dispensary for certain medications; this includes, but is not limited to, antibiotics, inhalers, topicals, and cold & cough remedies.  We do not file insurance for these medications, but instead charge a student's account a flat fee comparable to a pharmacy co-pay.   If a student prefers this option, they will be given the dispensary medication, if applicable, at the end of the appointment.  
  • Prescriptions:
    UHS can write prescriptions for medications as well.  In the case of certain medications, this may be the only option.

CAPS' psychiatrists can only write prescriptions; psychiatric medication is not available from the dispensary.

If I get a written prescription, what do I do with it?

If the doctor or nurse practitioner gives you a written prescription, you need to take it to a pharmacy to have it filled.  This is the same procedure as if you were seeing a private practice doctor.  The pharmacy will need at least an hour to fill your medication and will need to see your insurance card.

  • Monteagle, tn Pharmacies:
    • CVS Pharmacy (931-924-2341) 340 Main Street
    • Fred’s Pharmacy (931-924-4700) 829 W Main Street
  • Winchester/Decherd, TN Pharmacies:
    • Bennett's Pharmacy (931-967-2777) 1201 Dinah Shore Blvd - Winchester, TN 
    • CVS Pharmacy (931-967-5936) 1717 Decherd Hwy. - Decherd, TN
    • Kroger Pharmacy (931-967-1218) 1840 Decherd Blvd - Decherd, TN
    • Walgreens (931-967-4938) 1855 Decherd Blvd - Winchester, TN
    • Wal-Mart (931-967-0046) 2675 Decherd Blvd. - Winchester, TN

How do I get refills?

Certain prescriptions will already have a limited number of refills available; once you have filled your prescription, you can check to see how many refills are available by looking at the bottle.  If it says Refills: 0 or None, you will need to contact your provider to have a new prescription written.  The pharmacy cannot give you any more medication until you do so.  If your bottle says Refills: 1, or more, you can contact your pharmacy for more medication.  Please contact your pharmacy at least 1 day before you run out of your current medication and be aware of your pharmacy's operating hours.

Will I need to be seen by a doctor/nurse to get a new prescription?

Many times, yes.  This is to make sure the medication is still an appropriate and effective treatment.  Because of this, please contact the Wellness Center to discuss an appointment before you get to your last pill.  You may not be able to be seen right away, so plan accordingly!  

For CAPS' psychiatry patients, an appointment is absolutely necessary in order to get new prescriptions.  Psychiatry staff is not on-site outside of scheduled days; CAPS cannot provide medication outside of these appointments.

What do I need to get a refill prescription?

Please bring your insurance card and your current bottle of medication, especially if you're asking the Wellness Center to write a refill for a prescription we did not initiate. 

Can I be prescribed ADHD medications by the Wellness Center?

The Wellness Center is bound by very strict guidelines for providing stimulant medications.  Students must provide recent neuropsychological documentation supporting the need for a stimulant medication; please be aware submission of documentation does not guarantee a prescription, as the documentation must be reviewed and approved.  Students interested in transferring their current stimulant prescriptions to the Wellness Center should call the main number (931-598-1270) and choose the menu option to speak to the CAPS' office staff for more information.

Please click the statement that best describes the type of forms you are looking for.  All forms are in PDF format, unless otherwise stated, and may be downloaded.  If you are downloading a form because it is required for an appointment, please fill it out and return it to the Wellness Center prior to your appointment.