Applying for Financial Aid
All students who think they need financial assistance to attend Sewanee should apply for financial aid. Prospective students are not considered for financial aid until they have been admitted to the college. Students must re-apply each year for need-based aid, as this assistance is not automatically renewed. Circumstances may change for the applicant and/or the University with regard to the amount of available funds.
To establish your eligibility for need-based aid, you are required to complete and submit certain forms.
- After October 1 and prior to December 1, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using our school code, 003534.
- Use of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA is strongly encouraged. Assets must be reported as of the date you complete the FAFSA and are not subject to update.
- Tennessee residents who wish to apply only for the non-need-based Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program must file a FAFSA to be considered for this scholarship.
- Full FAFSA instructions
- Instrucción completa de la FAFSA
NEW STUDENTS AND FIRST-TIME NEED BASED AID APPLICATIONS
For institutional need-based funding, by December 1, you must:
- Submit the CSS Profile. Our school code is 1842.
- Create your secure Financial Aid Account at Sewanee.verifymyfafsa.com AFTER your FAFSA is submitted.
- Upload any required documentation for your financial aid application and electronically sign any forms to complete the verification process at Sewanee.verifymyfafsa.com
We reserve the right to request additional documentation or tax documents to administer institutional funds.
Aid applicants selected for verification
Recommended by December 1:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) embedded in the FAFSA process OR
- Upload tax transcripts and provide all required documentation for both parent and student through Sewanee.verifymyfafsa.com.
Tax returns cannot be used to complete federal verification but may be required to receive institutional funding. Tax return transcripts can be requested online.
Financial Aid Application Deadline
Financial aid applicants submitting their complete application by the stated deadlines are given priority consideration for institutional funds. Returning students must file by December 1. For new students your priority financial aid application deadline is the same as your chosen admission round deadline.
ALL THE DETAILS
Financial aid can be presented in different formats by each school. We have a guide of common terms, frequently asked questions and Sewanee specific processes.
All students must meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements to maintain eligibility for financial aid. Please note, need-based aid can fluctuate annually based on your financial situation and federal, state and institutional funding levels.
When you are ready to enroll or to review the paths our students take after graduation, explore next steps and outcomes right here.